Location: London, UK
Duration: 6 Months
Closing Date: 18 May 2012
The Economic Affairs Division is responsible for the Secretariatís programmes on national and international economic issues, and for assisting member countries to improve economic management and governance. It plays a key role in helping to identify solutions to the economic problems affecting Commonwealth countries; and in providing advocacy on the specific problems of small states; in achieving an international consensus on these solutions; in providing advice to governments on policy development. Practical assistance for sustainable economic development is a core Secretariat activity and a high priority for Commonwealth governments.
The Programme Co-ordinator is responsible for commitment control, budget planning and management, financial disbursements and signatory for payments; including the review and preparation of project and financial reports, maintaining the divisional financial database and preparing statistical information for decision making.
The Programme Co-ordinator is responsible for co-ordinating and managing the Divisionís financial and budgetary control process, external funding and divisional project activities. The post-holder provides management and guidance and support to ensure the successful delivery of all programmes in the Division. The post holder supports the Director of the Division and Section Heads in the planning, budgeting, effective management and co-ordination of programme activities, and prepares documents for the Directorís approval. The Programme Co-ordinator ensures projects are appropriately developed for submission to the DSG.
The work of the Programme Co-ordinator spans across the Division and involves liaison and consultation with Heads of Sections and, Advisers and Programme Manager.
The Programme Co-ordinator undertakes the role of the Budget Officer for the Division ensuring there is adequate financial provision within projects for staff travel and providing support for effective travel arrangements.
- Co-ordinating and managing the Divisionís financial and budgetary control process, external funding and Divisional project activities including forecasting for the forthcoming financial year in consultation to ensure expenditure is cost-effective and in accordance with financing procedures and audit requirements by:
- Being the contact point for Divisional information, co-ordinating financial inputs for relevant committees and meetings, including the preparation of documentation for senior management;
- Providing advice to Advisers, Programme Managers in preparing, management and updating project budgets, contracts/funding agreements and arrangements with partner institutions;
- Providing advice and guidance to delivery partners and external funding agencies on financial disbursements and reporting to meet Secretariat procedures and audit requirements;
- Preparing detailed write-ups and reviews of PAFs for the delivery of regional and pan Commonwealth programme activities and advise Project Managers in preparing financial inputs for their projects;
- Collaborating with FMIS on providing accurate reporting on budgets/expenditure;
- Preparing monthly statements/reports of programme and project expenditure for the Director;
- Preparing Statement of Expenditure for external funding organisations such as DfID, World Bank, IMF, etc;
- Co-ordinates logistical arrangements, budget and documentation for workshops, seminars, meetings and conferences;
- Acting as Document Officer for the annual Commonwealth Finance Ministers Meeting and other meetings ;
- Acting as Divisional Conference Officer for allocated meetings and conferences such as HIPC Ministerial Forum with full responsibility for the logistics dealing with Governments up to Ministerial levels.
- Managing, reviewing and co-ordinating the conference documents for dissemination to governments, institutions and other participants; Liaising directly with senior government officials as appropriate;
- Ensuring that the preparation of project proposals, new project, contracts and travel submissions meets Commonwealth Secretariat requirements;
- Organising all Divisional travel arrangements to ensure cost-effectiveness;
- Preparing draft contracts, Terms of Reference (TOR) and correspondence in response to queries and requests (internal and external from governments and institution);
- Assist the Director in the co-ordination of the Divisionís planning, implementation and programme delivery primarily from a budgetary position. Maintaining and co-ordinating of inputs to the project management (ARTEMIS) and financial management (CODA) systems with custodial responsibility for the accuracy of the project information in ARTEMIS by:
- Monitoring progress on projects/programme activities and provide consolidated divisional progress reports
- Liaising with short-term consultants re contract and TOR ;
- Providing associated training and support to other Divisional staff on project and financial management systems;
- Managing and supervising the operations of the Divisional registry containing project, programme files and publications;