- What's New:
- Adviser (Health) - Social Transformation Programmes Division
Adviser (Health) - Social Transformation Programmes Division
The Social Transformation Programmes Division (STPD) designs and implements the Secretariat’s programmes on Human Development (Education and Health) and Gender based on mandates from member governments, with the objective of assisting Commonwealth countries to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
The Health Section assists countries to achieve the health-related MDGs by addressing the issues posed by HIV/AIDS, women’s health, gender equity and human resources for health. Through a set of focused activities, the Section advises member states, provides policy advice; assists with strategy development, tools and methodologies; training; and institutional strengthening of their health sectors.
Reporting to the Head of Health Section, the Adviser (Health) is responsible for developing and implementing, with member governments and other partners, projects and activities to achieve the MDGs. The Adviser will also provide public health advice and information, and may deputise for the Head of Health Section as necessary.
- Develops and manages a portfolio of health projects, whilst continuously seeking to improve their content, scope and depth, and methods of delivery;
- Networks with member governments and other partners to develop joint programs;
- Networks with Education and Gender sections of the Division to identify areas for joint planning and programming;
- Seeks funding for the execution of projects and implements them in partnership with major stakeholders through workshops, seminars, and consultations;
- Monitors and evaluates the work of external consultants;
- Contributes to the development of Secretariat strategies for health;
- Facilitates the organisation of the annual Commonwealth Health Ministers Meeting and other Ministerial meetings, in collaboration with others ensuring that important public health issues are reviewed and that a realistic work programme is agreed;
- Represents the Social Transformation Programmes Division at other fora;
- Perform other duties as required
- A first degree in health sciences.
- A post-graduate qualification in public health and related discipline.
- Minimum of six years’ experience at middle management level within a Governmental or other health organisations.
- Minimum of 4 years practical experience in the design, management and monitoring and evaluating of public health projects.
- Experience in a health-related fields: Medicine, Nursing etc.
- Working experience in Multicultural environment and /or international organisation
Download the Job Description