The Social Transformation Programmes Division (STPD) of the Commonwealth Secretariat comprises the Education, Gender and Health Sections. The three Sections work on key aspects of human development towards the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and the overall empowerment of women. All Sections are supported by an administrative support team, comprising the Budget Officer, Travel Officer and a Programme Assistant.
The Gender Section works to advance gender equality and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). It focuses predominantly on the implementation of the four identified critical areas of action from the Commonwealth Plan of Action (PoA) on Gender Equality namely: Democracy, Peace and Conflict; Human Rights and the Law; Poverty Eradication and Economic Empowerment; and HIV/AIDS.
The Gender Section services the annual and triennial Women's Affairs Ministersí Meetings (WAMMs) and the Commonwealth Gender PoA Monitoring Group (CGPMG); provides policy and technical advice to strengthen institutional capacity for gender mainstreaming at the national, regional and pan-Commonwealth levels. It brokers pro-gender policies through consensus building, innovative research, modeling of good practices, capacity strengthening and high level advocacy.
Reporting to the Head of Gender and working closely with Advisers to support the delivery of the PoA. S/he supports advocacy, knowledge generation, partnership building and other strategies and models; investigates and initiates programmes relevant for the realisation of the Commonwealth PoA for Gender Equality 2005-2015 and will be required, under guidance, to liaise with Governments' representatives i.e. National Women's Machineries (NWMs), technical experts and partners.
S/he will also support the implementation of specified PoA targets and Commonwealth Strategic Plan objectives particularly supporting efforts towards implementation of the organisational gender policy.
Task Description includes:
- Provide professional assistance with regards to the strategic implementation of the PoA; support the Sectionís networking and partnership building with civil society and private sector;
- Provide support/lead role in the design, development and delivery of priority programmes and activities that promote the achievement of assigned theme related MDG targets and outputs, providing substantive inputs on future strategic plans for the sectionís gender mainstreaming programme.
- Draft and prepare relevant consultancy contracts for accurate and timely processing;
- Contribute and support the drafting of key advocacy messages, speeches and gender briefs;
- Compile and monitor progress reports as required;
- Support the implementation of the Secretariatís Gender Policy; liaise with relevant divisions within the Secretariat to support a more consistent focus and delivery of gender results, support key stakeholders, assisting with gender assessment of projects, documents and reports.
- Co-ordinate and organize meetings, workshops and relevant events, develop and generate appropriate gender analytical inputs, polices, proposals, reports, briefs and perform other ad hoc duties as required.
- Essential: A degree in development studies, gender/women studies, the humanities, social sciences, law or related field.
- Desirable: A post-graduate degree with specialisation in development, gender/women studies, development or related area.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in gender and development issues, with a proven commitment to gender equality and women's advancement;
- Sound gender analytical skills, in-depth knowledge of gender issues and systems, analytical tools, strategies and mainstreaming approaches;
- Proven capacity to network and build effective partnerships on programmes/project activities to meet set goals and targets.
- Experience of working in/with more than one Commonwealth country on gender and development issues would be an advantage;
- Experience in an international development organization, or comparable experience in the public/private sector;
- Knowledge or familiarity with networks and NGOs pertaining to women's political rights, peace and conflict management.
How to apply