How we do it
Delivering our programmes
This is done in three main ways: policy development, technical assistance and advisory services. Our achievements are possible because of the values we hold closely and our reputation.
- The Commonwealth’s values are the core of everything the Secretariat does. These combined with mechanisms which assist in upholding them, such as the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group, forms the basis of our reputation as a relevant association with political legitimacy.
- We have a track record of brokering policy and negotiating positions among our members – collective solutions arrived at by consensus – on sensitive and important political and economic issues taken forward by the Commonwealth.
- We have a reputation for providing cost-effective technical assistance and fulfilling the role as an ‘honest broker,’ particularly in policy analysis and advice. In responding to requests we exercise a balance of focus and flexibility and do so on an as-needed basis. We link global issue and strategies to local concerns and provide timely delivery.
- Similar education, legal and administrative systems and our shared common language makes the Commonwealth ideally placed to share best practices between countries.
- The Commonwealth’s worldwide network of around 90 professional and advocacy organisations, most of which bear its name, continues to grow. They work at local, national regional or international levels and play crucial roles in policy, political or social aspects of Commonwealth life.
- We have a proven record of advocating on behalf of small states. There are 32 in the Commonwealth, most with a population of fewer than 1.5 million. We attach high priority to supporting their integration in the global economy, assisting to build their resilience and competitiveness. We help these countries to take advantage of opportunities and meet the challenges arising from globalisation.
We work as a trusted partner for all Commonwealth people as:
a force for peace, democracy, equality and good governance;
a catalyst for global consensus-building;
a source of assistance for sustainable development and poverty eradication