Many Commonwealth countries face challenges in the following areas:
- Limited resources and finance to provide effective public services.
- Lack of trained officials in key areas.
- Lack of knowledge and technology to enhance their ability to deliver public services (eg departments responsible for sanitation and infrastructure).
- Lack of coherent policies between various government ministries and institutions.
- Retention of public servants and manpower.
- Planning and impact of HIV/AIDs on work force.